Skip to content

My New OpenCV Computer Vision Application Programming Video Course

OpenCV_Computer_Vision_Application_ProgrammingAfter writing articles helping people to install OpenCV here on this blog, some asked me to share a little more about OpenCV, not just the installation part. I started thinking about a way to deliver this information when suddenly Packt publishing contacted me about making a video course tutorial for OpenCV. I knew it was the perfect solution, so I immediately said yes. After the publication of the video course at Packt, I was glad to see it appear also in the official website of OpenCV.

This video course starts right at the beginning, with an explanation of what OpenCV is and its installation. Then, you learn all the basics of OpenCV, followed by some of the basics of image processing. Then, you will be ready to detect objects, recognize faces, train your own detector, remove distortion from your photos, and play with images in 3D.

Here are the things that you will learn with this video course:

• Learn what OpenCV is and how to install it on Linux and Windows
  • Development with OpenCV using the recommended C++ interface, as well as an introduction to the Python and C interfaces.
  • Segment objects in your images using grabcut and watershed, cluster your data, and spot interesting points in the image
  • Merge different images into a single panorama using the technique called panorama stitching
  • Detect common objects in your images, like faces, eyes, or people
  • Train your own object detector to detect custom objects
  • Recognize a face among many others
  • Learn to calibrate your camera
  • Remove or reduce the distortion of an image caused by the lens, commonly known as barrel distortion
  • Change the perspective of an image to match a different 3D pose
  • Create an image that represents depth information of the scene using stereoscopic images

This is an easy to follow video course for people that are just starting with OpenCV. Even people that are used to OpenCV may benefit from some of the more advanced videos since you can just pick and choose which video you want to learn from.

You can check out the video course here.

Posted in Image Processing, Open Source, Programming.

18 Responses

1. jason says

hey i would love to learn more by watching this video but first, i need to make sure, does it have subtitles or a transcript? im deaf and need that.. i checked out the sample and youtube’s automatic captions is not really good enough…

2. samontab says

Hello jason,

Right now it does not have subtitles or transcripts as far as I know. Nevertheless, I contacted Packt (the publisher) and asked about it, maybe they could help with this.
    Thanks for your question.

3. Michael Wahl says

Hi Sebastian,

I am working through your nice video and the source code. Unfortunately, there is some source code missing (the folder for Chapter 7.1: “Calibrating your camera” only contains the pattern). I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Michael

4. samontab says

Hello Michael,

I’m happy to hear that you have liked my video course so far.

For the particular video that you are referring to (7.1 – Calibrating your camera) I do not use any custom source code, that’s why no source code was provided for the video. I only use built samples that come directly from OpenCV, specifically imagelist_creator, and calibration. So you should be able to calibrate your camera without doing any coding at all!

If for some reason you want to access the source code files for those utilities, you can get them from the C++ samples directory of OpenCV:

~/OpenCV-2.4.1/samples/cpp/calibration.cpp
    ~/OpenCV-2.4.1/samples/cpp/imagelist_creator.cpp

I hope it helps!

5. Michael Wahl says

Got it! Thanks a lot.

Michael

6. samontab says

You are welcome Michael!

7. JinTa Huang says

Hi, samontab

I also buy your video, and it’s great.

By the way, how can I get the 4 input test image in section “5.1 Creating a Panorama”?

8. samontab says

Thanks JinTa Huang!,

I am glad you liked the video course.
    You can get the pictures from here:

9. Captain says

Thanks..

10. Cesco says

Hola Sebastian,
    Glad to see you having done the set of videos. I have been following your blog before I bought your set of videos from packt and I am enjoying them so far. I have been following your tutorials line by line, and in chapter 2 and 3, I have been getting the following error every time I try to run the C++ executables. I am running Linux Ubuntu 12.04:

“OpenCV Error: Bad flag (parameter or structure field) (Unrecognized or unsupported array type) in cvGetMat, file /home/cesco/OpenCV-2.4.1/modules/core/src/array.cpp, line 2482
    terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘cv::Exception’
    what(): /home/cesco/OpenCV-2.4.1/modules/core/src/array.cpp:2482: error: (-206) Unrecognized or unsupported array type in function cvGetMat”

It does not happen within the python interface. They are running smoothly so far.
    Please let me know what you think.
    thanks,
    Cesco

11. Cesco says

Hi Sebastian,
    I was able to find the problem. The path to the image was not properly defined. Your code was fine. It was my error.
    ciao,
    Cesco

12. samontab says

You are welcome Captain!

13. samontab says

Hello Cesco,

I am very happy that you have been enjoying the video course, and it is great to hear that you already solved your problem.
    Happy learning.

14. samontab says

Awesome.

15. Ahmed says

Hello i am from kurdistan-iraq , i want to learn from your videos , but is it for free , coz i dont have any credit card , in iraq we dont have it , so i cant pay , i wondered if you i could get it for free , i will use it for my last year project , i need it very much , and thank you …

16. samontab says

Hello Ahmed,

Unfortunately the video is not free. You can try contacting the publisher directly to see how to arrange a different form of payment. Sorry about that.

To make it up for you, here you can grab a free book about computer vision:

17. TOMAS says

Hi Sebastian,

i am new in OpenCV so i bought your video tutorials to help me with my work. But i just wanna ask you for an advice. With my camera I want to detect in a room common things like tables, chairs, paintings on the wall, TV, clocks and so on.
    What TIPS, TECHNIQUES, OPENCV features or what would you recommend me to focus on to achieve this? I will be really grateful.
    Thank you very very much for your response.

Tomas

18. samontab says

Hi Tomas,

The first that I would do is think about the problem. Can it be solved with something else that is not computer vision?, maybe it is a really simple problem using other type of sensor or framing the problem in another context.
    Can you at least use 3d data?. Sometimes it is much easier to understand what is happening in the world when you actually have 3d data instead of just 2d data like images.
    If after thinking that you still need to solve that problem using computer vision, then I would suggest you to start reading about the feature detection module of opencv. That would give you a nice starting point.
    Also, take a look at the computer vision book from Szeliski, it will help you in your task. You can get a free copy here:

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.